Friday, June 22, 2007

Where People Know Your Name

Work closed early due to office renovations and I'm hanging out this afternoon at my favorite coffee shop in the world ... Sips Coffee and Tea. Best coffee, best staff, best big comfy leather chairs, and free wireless internet. Every starving student's dream. This morning I had to break the news of my impending move to Kristen and Shon (the a.m. staff that keep me caffeinated and make me smile) and it was actually really sad. The closest I've come to tears since making this decision. At a coffee shop, of all places.

I guess the emotions were spurred by the knowledge that I'm leaving behind a lot of really great memories here. The last few years were some of the most challenging I've faced in my young life and they all happened here in Durham, so you'd think I'd be chomping at the bit to get out of here. But instead I dwell on the good things and Sips has been one of the best there is.

This is the kind of place where the correct coffee cup size and your favorite pastry have been laid out for you the minute they see your car pull up in the parking lot. I've actually arrived to find my Mocha Blenz already blended. The morning patrons know each other's names and newcomers are made to feel like they are part of the family the moment they step in the door. In the midst of my crazy life, I knew I could come here and breathe.

There's nothing better than escaping to a place that is yours to enjoy. I've shared this place with friends and arranged for meetings here, but I still consider it mine. I come here alone to be alone but also be surrounded by people who are always up for conversation. I hope there's a Sips-like place back home that I can discover by accident. This place has saved my sanity.

No comments: