Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My Heart Will Always Be Yours, Honestly

I heard from an old friend today. Mike and I met in a Sports chat room on America Online years ago - I was 12 years old, he was 14. Our friendship and mutual hockey obsession soon blossomed into an online romance (before it was trendy to have one) and we kept in regular contact for a good two years, then sporadically throughout our high school and college years. We never met face-to-face. I had the chance when my family went to Chicago for a vacation, but I chickened out on him. Stupid Teeny.

We've both moved on with our lives but I randomly searched for him on Classmates.com last year, and lo and behold, there he was. I was smarting from losing my father and nostalgic for comfort, so I sent him a quick message.

Then, many months later, what do I discover in my e-mail inbox this afternoon, but a message from dear ol' Mike. It was like a breath of fresh air! I seem to have discovered a friendship that will never fade with years or distance. Whatever our romantic history, Mike had a way of making me feel completely at peace with whatever else was happening in my life. What a blessing.

I'm a lucky girl.

No comments: