Thursday, June 12, 2008

Another Date To Remember

Today would have been 31 years of my parents' marriage. Mom didn't want to do anything significant to mark the day - just be home with us and go about her daily business.

I would think this would be one of the harder milestones of the year. Every other tradition or holiday was something Daddy shared with family and friends, something we could commemorate as a community that loved him dearly. But a wedding anniversary was something the two of them shared intimately and something that my father went to great lengths to celebrate every year. It always involved giving mom long-stemmed roses to mark the number of years they were together. It always involved grand romantic gestures. Now that I know how it feels to be swept off my feet and treated with such love and devotion, I can't imagine having to remember a date such as this on my own. It must have been a very long day for Mom.

And Sunday is Father's Day. We'll be visiting Daddy and making "Our Eggs". This week is a doozy.

No comments: