Monday, September 24, 2007

Keeping Watch

Daddy is still with us but has slipped into a coma. We have been keeping vigil since last night and have all been able to steal moments with him alone and together. I finally let it all out earlier tonight, which felt really good, but now I can't seem to make the tears stop. I've tried to be the knowledgeable big sister/"nurse in training" but finally I just let myself be the grieving daughter.

There are so many things I love about my Dad that I'm overwhelmed to list them all. But here are a few just to give y'all an idea of how blessed we have been to have this amazing man as our father:
-His love for spontaneously dancing, whether it's the swing or the twist
-His communication skills - he always knows what to say and when to just give a big "Daddy hug"
-The traditions he created and carried on from his own childhood - every year we have "birthday strings" scavenger hunts
-His strength as our "rock" in the midst of a lot of family trials over the past 30 years
-His utter devotion to Mom, his soul mate, to the point of being a romantic sap we all teased but secretly wished our spouses would be like someday

I could go on. A lot of people are referring to him in the past tense but I refuse to go there yet. He's still here...really he always will be....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teeny-

I can't think of anything to say except that I have been and will continue to pray for your family.

Love, Anna

Sara Leonard said...

Thinking of you and love you.