Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Paging Dr. Teeny

Being a nerd comes in handy sometimes. Like when you conduct your own differential diagnosis (see below) and turn out to be exactly right. That white boomerang I saw yesterday at my ultrasound is most definitely a gallstone. A 1.3 cm gallstone, to be exact. "Quite large," to quote my doctor.

Doc gave me the option of trying a few more tests but said based on the results and my symptoms, he's pretty confident that this is the source of my pain. So he made me a copy of my ultrasound report, gave me a list of general surgeons he recommends, and sent me on my way.

The trick will be finding someone willing to squeeze me in before they leave for the holidays. A cholecystectomy (that's gallbladder removal for those who were curious) is not typically considered urgent unless you arrive at the emergency room puking your guts out. Nevermind that I can't eat anything without enormous pain and have lost 9 pounds in 2 weeks. Nevermind that my supervisor told me that waiting until your gallbladder actually ruptures is bad news for you. One doctor's office told me I'd have to wait until mid-February. As if! But another office has an appointment definitely available on January 2nd. A little better and at least it means I won't be susceptible to the added Christmas poundage. They also said they'd see if I could get worked into the December schedule, if at all possible.

Oh well, at least I have a prescription for Vicodin now. Pain? What pain?

No comments: