Saturday, December 15, 2007

Thank God for Small Favors (And Vicodin)

I must have sounded really pitiful on the phone last week because one of the surgeon's assistants I spoke with convinced him to see me for a consult this coming Tuesday (their first available appointment on the books wasn't until January). Hopefully that means he'll be just as willing to squeeze me in for the actual surgery.

My only other option is to hop on over to Wendy's and stuff my face with a Jalapeno Cheddar Double Melt, let it do its magic on my digestive system (spicy + greasy + cheesy = my gallbladder working overtime) and then crawl to the ER in genuinely unbearable pain, hoping that they get me in for surgery right then and there.

While my situation is not life-threatening, here's the thing... I have the option of not eating and avoiding the pain but also being on the verge of passing out from weakness (and also not being able to drive for fear of fainting at the wheel- yes, it's that bad). No fun. Or I could suck it up and eat, then nip the pain in the bud with a little white pill. Better, but it means being fuzzy for the next several hours. And since there's very little in my stomach to help absorb the medication, the effects last that much longer. So I'm light-headed and dizzy either way - take your pick between malnutrition or narcotics.

I hate to admit it, but there is silver living for this one ... at least it is serving as a distraction from the "Merry" bit of "Merry Christmas".

No comments: