Sunday, January 20, 2008

Hyfrydol

Something amazing happened this morning when I went back to church, as I had resolved to do.

After stopping by the cemetery to wish my father a good morning, I headed over to my aunt's Presbyterian church nearby. Our own neighborhood church, where I attended Vacation Bible School and "Preparing for Adolescence" classes, is a little (okay, a lot) on the conservative side and I have wanted for a long time to try something different. I certainly found it.

A progressive, "green" church in a beautiful new building, it is headed by a justice-minded minister whose sermon content reminded me of the pastor back at my beloved church during my college days. The music was gorgeous, the people were welcoming, and it just felt so good to be back.

But by far the most profound moment of the day was the processional hymn: "Love Divine, All Loves Excelling". In the Hyfrydol tune by Rowland H. Pritchard. The exact tune to which I walked down the aisle arm-in-arm with my father on my wedding day. Just as I did when we sang "Joy To the World" at Christmas Eve, I teared up and knew Dad was there.

Out of the hundreds of possible hymns to sing my first day back in church, the appointed song was perfect. The morning was perfect. Daddy would have loved it. I sure did.

No comments: