Monday, January 07, 2008

Vacation, All I Ever Wanted

All I have to do is get through the next three days! Then Thursday morning, the fam heads to the airport and jets off to HAWAII!! I have been awaiting this vacation eagerly since we booked our tickets last fall. We chose to stay on Lana'i because it's a small island with not a whole lot to do, which is exactly the point. This is an escape as well as an adventure; we haven't gotten out of town since Catalina in August and it's time...

My goals for the trip include visiting the gym at least once a day for a good solid workout, reading a lot, eating fresh fruit and seafood morning, noon and night, and finding all of the beverages the hotel serves with little umbrellas. And taking pictures, which I will make sure to post here (at least a few).

In the spirit of vacation indulgence, here's a little ditty from Fit for Life that I found appropriate. And timely - it used to be that if I was naughty and ate something bad for me, I gave up on being healthy for the next several weeks, if not months. But now I'm noticing a new philosophy emerge. For example, I stayed over at a friend's house Saturday night and she ordered a pizza at midnight because she had a craving. Did I eat some of the pizza? Yes. Did I hate myself afterward? No. I went home the next morning, took a long walk with my mom and aunt, and was back to my normal habits. I might have gained a pound with the "slip" but I'll lose it quickly and I don't feel like giving up this time. That's a huge victory in and of itself.

So without further ado, Victoria Moran:

The scenario is, "I ate a [cookie, potato chip, candy bar]. I blew it. So now I have to eat for three days and be really miserable." Remember: there is nothing to blow. You are not on a diet. You had a cookie. Fine. I hope it tasted good. ... The blowing it concept is a setup. It's a mind game overeaters play to give themselves permission to eat for a fix. If you blow it, you have to throw in the towel. Give up. Wallow in remorse. Then you have to face the daunting prospect of starting over: a new diet, another exercise regiment, another monumental undertaking.

My intent for this vacation is not to "blow it." But if I do reach for that dessert plate one night, life is not over. And it feels really good to know that.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

You're doing GREAT Kristine!! I am also on a fitness / weightloss tracker site (sparkpeople.com), and I think the most important thing to learn is what you just described -- knowing you haven't 'blown it' by having an unhealthy meal / day. It happens. Keep up the great work, and have a FANTASTIC time in Hawaii! :)