Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Kicking and Screaming

That was my state of mind as I packed and prepared to return home from my new favorite Hawaiian island: Lana'i! Goodbye tropical air, hello marine layer. Alas, real life is not wasting any time, as I have to be back at work tomorrow morning.

Our trip consisted of hikes, great snorkeling in Hulopo'e Bay, a visit to the fabulous spa for an afternoon, venturing to Lana'i "City" (Population: 3,000), lots of fantastic seafood (and the discovery of how many things taste amazing with truffle oil - YUM), and lots of sitting by the pool and soaking in the tropical breezes and bright sunlight. Just what the doctor ordered!

I had two goals for the vacation and I am proud to say I met both of them. The first was to exercise daily. I even did this morning before we checked out! My original thought was that I would love not to gain any weight while away, but I quickly realized how unrealistic that would be given the combination of regular restaurant food and gazillions of calories consumed via alcohol.

Which brings me to my next goal: from the time we checked in to the time we were homeward bound, I was determined not to have the same beverage more than once. Although the mantra "When in Hawai'i, drink mai tais" certainly makes sense, I thought it would make me more adventurous and bring me home with some new concoctions to try when I'm out with friends. I don't normally drink much, but it was certainly fun to have a taste of what turned out to be a DELICIOUS array...
  • Ocean Blue
  • Mango-Ginger Mojito
  • Hulapo'e Punch
  • Orange Passion Mimosa
  • Lava Flow
  • Chocolate Martini
  • Mai Tai
  • Pinot Grigio
  • Whiskey Sour
  • Extra dirty gin martini
  • Pinot Noir
  • Lemon Twist
  • Pineapple Margarita
  • Kona Cappucino Freeze
  • Cosmopolitan
  • Bikini Bellini
  • Champagne
  • Bloody Mary
DISCLAIMER: This trip was about a whole lot more than drinking. It was about healing. But sometimes healing is helped along with a little self-medication. Besides, as my father used to say, "WE'RE ON VACATION!!!"

Pictures to come, I promise...

No comments: