Friday, January 04, 2008

You Can't Stop the Beat

I watched Hairspray tonight with my mom, sister and BFF/life partner Cari. It was awesome - I was literally dancing in my seat. Great cast, great music, FANTASTIC choreography. Bravo, Adam Shankman!

And I kept coming back to the thought that Dad would have absolutely loved this movie. I could imagine him doing the twist in the middle of the TV room (and subsequently blocking everyone else's view), and then having the soundtrack stuck in his head for the next several weeks. He was a true lover of the performing arts.

This vision made me really happy, not only because it would have been a comical scene, but also because I was finally able to imagine my Dad healthy and well (and boogeying like he loved to do). Those moments are happening more and more often and are gradually supplanting the memories of his horror-filled final hours.

Not that I'll ever forget them. But it's comforting to think of Dad still shakin' his groove thing from up above.

1 comment:

meximama said...

oh my god! i love it. i can totally see your dad doing that. in fact, i'm sure i've witnessed him doing that before. what a goober!